Monday, November 9, 2009

Walter Hatch class 1972 "Colby Faculty"


Ph.D., Political Economy, University of Washington (Seattle)
Phone: (207) 872-3445 (Office)Email: wfhatch@colby.eduOffice: Miller 258Office Hours: Tuesday 2:30-3:30PM, Wednesday 10:00-11:30AMIn a former life, I was a journalist, serving briefly as a stringer for CBS News and – for a much longer time – a political reporter for The Seattle Times. (Before that, I was a cabinet-maker.) I switched careers because I grew tired of listening to politicians talk trash, and because I was thrilled to be paid to read (and write) books, and to argue with other people about them. I turned my masters thesis into a book (Asia in Japan’s Embrace, which was published in 1996 by Cambridge University Press), and am now working to turn my dissertation into a second book on the feedback effect of Asian regionalization on the political economy of Japan. A future research project will focus on the use and abuse of collective memory in the Japan-China relationship. At Colby College, where I am an assistant professor, I teach Introduction to International Relations, Japanese Politics, Chinese Politics, and the Political Economy of Regionalization. I also serve as editor of The Japanese Economy, a journal published by M.E. Sharpe.

No comments:

Post a Comment